Back to Journals » Drug Design, Development and Therapy » Volume 8

Safety and efficacy of S-1 chemotherapy in recurrent and metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients after failure of platinum-based chemotherapy: multi-institutional retrospective analysis

Authors Peng P, Cheng H, Ou X, Zeng L, Wu X, Liu Y, Lin Z, Tang Y, Wang S, Zhang H, Chen Z

Received 12 May 2014

Accepted for publication 31 May 2014

Published 14 August 2014 Volume 2014:8 Pages 1083—1087

DOI https://doi.org/10.2147/DDDT.S67592

Checked for plagiarism Yes

Review by Single-blind

Peer reviewer comments 2

Pei-Jian Peng,1,* Hua Cheng,2,* Xue-Qing Ou,3 Lin-Juan Zeng,1 Xuan Wu,4 Yu-Meng Liu,5 Zhong Lin,1 Yan-Na Tang,1 Si-Yang Wang,3 Hong-Yu Zhang,1 Zhi-Bin Chen3

1Department of Medical Oncology, 2Department of Surgical Oncology, 3Department of Radiation Oncology, The Fifth Affiliated Hospital of Sun-Yat-Sen University, Zhu Hai, Guangdong Province, People's Republic of China; 4Department of Medical Oncology, Cancer Center, Sun-Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, People's Republic of China; 5Department of Oncology, the People's Hospital of Zhongshan City, Zhongshan, Guangdong Province, People's Republic of China

*These authors contributed equally to this work

Purpose: This retrospective study evaluates the efficacy and safety of S-1 chemotherapy for recurrent and metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients after failure of platinum-based chemotherapy.
Patients and methods: Thirty-nine patients with recurrent and metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma who failed previous platinum-based chemotherapy received oral S-1 chemotherapy (twice daily from day 1 to 14) every 3 weeks. The dose of S-1 was determined according to the body surface area (BSA): 40 mg twice a day for BSA <1.25 m2; 50 mg twice a day for 1.25 m2 ≤BSA<1.5 m2; and 60 mg twice a day for BSA ≥1.5 m2.
Results: Treatment was well tolerated. Most adverse events were mild. Grade 3 hematological toxicity occurred in 7.7%. There was one complete response (2.6%) and 12 partial responses (30.7%), giving an overall response rate of 33.3% (95% CI [confidence interval], 21.7–50.8). Median time-to-progression was 5.6 months, and median survival was 13.9 months. One- and 2-year survival rates were 60% and 26%, respectively.
Conclusion: S-1 monotherapy is considered a safe and effective treatment option for recurrent and metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients after failure of platinum-based chemotherapy.

Keywords: S-1, nasopharyngeal carcinoma, chemotherapy, platinum

Creative Commons License This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms.php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License. By accessing the work you hereby accept the Terms. Non-commercial uses of the work are permitted without any further permission from Dove Medical Press Limited, provided the work is properly attributed. For permission for commercial use of this work, please see paragraphs 4.2 and 5 of our Terms.

Download Article [PDF]  View Full Text [HTML][Machine readable]