Back to Journals » International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease » Volume 10 » Issue 1

Increased hypoxemia in patients with COPD and pulmonary hypertension undergoing bronchoscopy with biopsy

Authors Neuman Y, Koslow M, Matveychuk A, Bar-Sef A, Guber A, Shitrit D

Received 20 May 2015

Accepted for publication 24 July 2015

Published 7 December 2015 Volume 2015:10(1) Pages 2627—2632

DOI https://doi.org/10.2147/COPD.S88946

Checked for plagiarism Yes

Review by Single-blind

Peer reviewers approved by Professor Hsiao-Chi Chuang

Peer reviewer comments 3

Editor who approved publication: Dr Richard Russell

Yoram Neuman,1,3 Matthew Koslow,2,3 Alona Matveychuk,2,3 Avigdor Bar-Sef,1 Alexander Guber,2,3 David Shitrit2,3

1Division of Cardiology, 2Pulmonary Department, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel; 3Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel

Background and objective: Patients with pulmonary hypertension (PH) are considered to be at risk for complications associated with flexible bronchoscopy (FB), but data concerning the degree of PH are often lacking. We investigated whether COPD patients with PH who undergo bronchoscopy are at greater risk for complications.
Methods: This prospective study included 207 consecutive COPD patients undergoing FB. All underwent an echo-Doppler to evaluate pulmonary artery pressure on the day of the bronchoscopy procedure. Pulmonologists were blinded to the echocardiogram results.
Results: A total of 167 patients (80.7%) had normal pulmonary pressure. The remaining 40 patients (19.3%) had PH: 27 (13.0%) mild, eight (3.9%) moderate, and five (2.4%) severe. Noninvasive hemodynamic parameters between groups before and after FB were similar. Two patients with normal pulmonary pressure developed supraventricular tachycardia. None developed hemodynamically significant dysrhythmia. Bleeding episodes between groups in bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) and transbronchial biopsy (TBB) did not differ. PH patients who underwent BAL and TBB had decreased O2 saturation during the procedure compared with the non-PH group (23.5% vs 6.9%, P=0.033). No deaths were attributable to FB.
Conclusion: PH is common among COPD patients undergoing FB. PH patients undergoing BAL and TBB are at higher risk of decreased O2 saturation than those without PH. Further studies should assess the risk among COPD patients with moderate-to-severe PH.

Keywords: bronchoscopy, hypoxemia, pulmonary hypertension

Creative Commons License This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms.php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License. By accessing the work you hereby accept the Terms. Non-commercial uses of the work are permitted without any further permission from Dove Medical Press Limited, provided the work is properly attributed. For permission for commercial use of this work, please see paragraphs 4.2 and 5 of our Terms.

Download Article [PDF]  View Full Text [HTML][Machine readable]

 

Readers of this article also read:

Adherence to GOLD guideline treatment recommendations among pulmonologists in Turkey

Sen E, Guclu SZ, Kibar I, Ocal U, Yilmaz V, Celik O, Cimen F, Topcu F, Orhun M, Tereci H, Konya A, Ar I, Saryal S

International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 2015, 10:2657-2663

Published Date: 10 December 2015

Nanoshell-mediated photothermal therapy can enhance chemotherapy in inflammatory breast cancer cells

Fay BL, Melamed JR, Day ES

International Journal of Nanomedicine 2015, 10:6931-6941

Published Date: 6 November 2015

Attenuation of the macrophage inflammatory activity by TiO2 nanotubes via inhibition of MAPK and NF-κB pathways

Neacsu P, Mazare A, Schmuki P, Cimpean A

International Journal of Nanomedicine 2015, 10:6455-6467

Published Date: 12 October 2015

Green synthesis of water-soluble nontoxic polymeric nanocomposites containing silver nanoparticles

Prozorova GF, Pozdnyakov AS, Kuznetsova NP, Korzhova SA, Emel’yanov AI, Ermakova TG, Fadeeva TV, Sosedova LM

International Journal of Nanomedicine 2014, 9:1883-1889

Published Date: 16 April 2014

Methacrylic-based nanogels for the pH-sensitive delivery of 5-Fluorouracil in the colon

Ashwanikumar N, Kumar NA, Nair SA, Kumar GS

International Journal of Nanomedicine 2012, 7:5769-5779

Published Date: 15 November 2012

Cross-linked acrylic hydrogel for the controlled delivery of hydrophobic drugs in cancer therapy

Deepa G, Thulasidasan AK, Anto RJ, Pillai JJ, Kumar GS

International Journal of Nanomedicine 2012, 7:4077-4088

Published Date: 27 July 2012

Crystallization after intravitreal ganciclovir injection

Pitipol Choopong, Nattaporn Tesavibul, Nattawut Rodanant

Clinical Ophthalmology 2010, 4:709-711

Published Date: 14 July 2010