Back to Journals » Pediatric Health, Medicine and Therapeutics » Volume 1

Age- and tissue-specific variation of X-inactivation ratios in X-linked Alport syndrome females

Authors Zhang H, Ding J, Wang F

Published 3 December 2010 Volume 2010:1 Pages 1—6

DOI https://doi.org/10.2147/PHMT.S15571

Review by Single-blind

Peer reviewer comments 4


Hongwen Zhang, Jie Ding, Fang Wang
Department of Pediatrics, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, People's Republic of China

Background: Alport syndrome (AS) is a progressive renal disease characterized by hematuria and progressive renal failure. X-linked dominant AS (XLAS) is the major inheritance form, accounting for almost 80% of the cases. XLAS females have variable phenotypes, from microscopic hematuria to chronic renal failure. These variable phenotypes cannot be clarified solely by mutation features of the COL4A5 gene. X-inactivation has been suspected to be one of the reasons responsible for this phenomenon, but so far definite correlation has not been demonstrated. Moreover, it was supposed that X-inactivation ratios may vary both with age and between different tissues within an individual. This study analyzed the age- and tissue-specific variation of X-inactivation ratios in XLAS females.
Methods: Peripheral blood cells were collected from 36 XLAS females, and cultured skin fibroblasts were collected from 12 of them. The X-inactivation analysis was performed using HpaII predigestion of DNA followed by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) of the highly polymorphic CAG repeat of the androgen receptor (AR) gene.
Results: The rate of heterozygosity at the AR locus of the 36 female patients was 88.89%. Only 12.50% (4/32) of females detected showed skewed X-inactivation in peripheral blood cells. No individual under 30 years of age had skewed X-inactivation, and 20% (4/20) of individuals over 30 years of age had skewed X-inactivation in peripheral blood cells (χ2 = 2.743, P = 0.098). The X-inactivation patterns of the 12 patients showed marked variation between blood cells and skin fibroblasts. Seven of the 12 patients (58.33%) had similar X-inactivation ratios in both tissues, but the other 5 patients (41.67%) had the opposite X-inactivation ratios in both tissues. There was no correlation between the X-inactivation ratios of the mutant allele in skin fibroblasts and in peripheral blood cells (r = 0.180, P = 0.575).
Conclusion: There was no age-specific variation of X-inactivation ratios in XLAS females but there was tissue-specific variation, which maybe could explain the contradictory results between X-inactivation and the variable phenotype of XLAS females.

Keywords: Alport syndrome, female, X-inactivation

Creative Commons License This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms.php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License. By accessing the work you hereby accept the Terms. Non-commercial uses of the work are permitted without any further permission from Dove Medical Press Limited, provided the work is properly attributed. For permission for commercial use of this work, please see paragraphs 4.2 and 5 of our Terms.

Download Article [PDF]