Back to Journals » OncoTargets and Therapy » Volume 6

Efficacy of intraarterial chemoinfusion therapy for locally advanced breast cancer patients: a retrospective analysis of 28 cases

Authors Zhang, Liu, Wang, Qian, Wang, Yan, Zhang

Received 6 March 2013

Accepted for publication 4 May 2013

Published 25 June 2013 Volume 2013:6 Pages 761—765


Checked for plagiarism Yes

Review by Single anonymous peer review

Peer reviewer comments 2

Wei Zhang,1,* Rong Liu,1,* Yingying Wang,1 Sheng Qian,1 Jianhua Wang,1 Zhiping Yan,1 Hongwei Zhang2

Department of Interventional Radiology, Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, People's Republic of China; 2Department of General Surgery, Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, People's Republic of China

*These authors contributed equally to this work

Objective: The objective of this study was to evaluate the outcome of image-guided delivery of intraarterially infused chemotherapeutic drugs for patients with locally advanced breast cancer.
Methods: Twenty-eight patients with pathologically proven, locally advanced breast cancer received intraarterial chemoinfusion therapy (chemoinfusion) with docetaxel 75 mg/m2 and epirubicin 50 mg/m2. Digital subtraction angiography was performed to determine tumor arterial blood supply and to guide chemotherapy infusion. Patients were evaluated for complete remission (CR) and partial remission (PR).
Results: Twenty-eight patients received a total of 64 intraarterial chemoinfusions, 20 patients (71.4%) received two infusions, and eight patients (28.6%) received three infusions. One patient (3.6%) had CR and 23 (82.1%) had PR. The total effectiveness rate (CR and PR) was 85.7% (24/28). All stage 3 patients underwent Phase II surgical resection after chemoinfusion, and the surgical resection participation rate was 100% (26/26). The mean time from the first chemoinfusion to surgery was 2 ± 1.2 months. Two patients with stage 4 cancer died of distant metastasis and cachexia, and the remaining 26 patients were still alive.
Conclusion: Intraarterial chemoinfusion is a safe and effective therapy, achieving down-staging in a relatively short period for locally advanced breast cancer.

Keywords: advanced breast cancer, intraarterial infusion, chemotherapy, therapeutic effect

Creative Commons License © 2013 The Author(s). This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License. By accessing the work you hereby accept the Terms. Non-commercial uses of the work are permitted without any further permission from Dove Medical Press Limited, provided the work is properly attributed. For permission for commercial use of this work, please see paragraphs 4.2 and 5 of our Terms.