Back to Journals » Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare » Volume 13

Comments on “Assessment of Organizational Commitment Among Nurses in a Major Public Hospital in Saudi Arabia” [Letter]

Authors Nugroho HSW

Received 17 June 2020

Accepted for publication 25 June 2020

Published 9 July 2020 Volume 2020:13 Pages 607—608

DOI https://doi.org/10.2147/JMDH.S268191

Checked for plagiarism Yes

Editor who approved publication: Dr Scott Fraser


Heru Santoso Wahito Nugroho

Midwifery Department, Poltekkes Kemenkes Surabaya, Surabaya, Jawa Timur, Indonesia

Correspondence: Heru Santoso Wahito Nugroho
Poltekkes Kemenkes Surabaya, Pucang Jajar Tengah 56, Surabaya, Jawa Timur 60282, Indonesia
Tel +62 82142259360
Fax +62315028141
Email heruswn@poltekkesdepkes-sby.ac.id


I have studied carefully the results of research recently published in this journal, which discusses the organizational commitment of nurses working in public hospitals in Saudi Arabia. The results of this study indicate that overall, the level of organizational commitment of nurses is in the moderate category, and is related to the age and nationality of nurses.1

View the original paper by Al-Haroon and Al-Qahtani
 
 

Dear editor

I have studied carefully the results of research recently published in this journal, which discusses the organizational commitment of nurses working in public hospitals in Saudi Arabia. The results of this study indicate that overall, the level of organizational commitment of nurses is in the moderate category, and is related to the age and nationality of nurses.1

The important thing that needs to be addressed carefully is that the predictors examined in this study are limited to the “personal factors” of organizational commitment, with a coefficient of determination of 0.05.1 This shows that, the level of organizational commitment can be explained by personal factors by only 5 percent; while the rest (95%), may be explained by non-personal factors, especially “organizational factors”; as we know that the nurses work in hospitals as an organization, so in addition to the personal factors, of course organizational commitment is also related to “organizational factors”.

Based on the fact that the role of personal factors is very small (5%), then in order to increase the organizational commitment of nurses who are currently still at a moderate level, researchers must still explore 95% of organizational factors, through further studies. Referring to relevant references, there are many organizational factors that have often been proven to be related to organizational commitment; such as training and development; leadership; mentoring; job autonomy; and organizational support.2

Thus, in order to provide valuable further information for the relevant public hospital, researchers should conduct further studies to explore the organizational factors of nurses’ organizational commitment. This is very important because basically the organizational factors are part of the internal management of the hospital itself, so that knowing which organizational factors play a significant role, the hospital management will immediately be able to make efforts to improve quality in a focused manner.

Disclosure

The authors report no conflicts of interest in this communication.

References

1. Al-Haroon HI, Al-Qahtani MF. Assessment of organizational commitment among nurses in a major public hospital in Saudi Arabia. J Multidiscip Healthc. 2020;13:519–526.

2. Bodjrenou K, Xu M, Bomboma K. Antecedents of organizational commitment: a review of personal and organizational factors. Open J Soc Sci. 2019;7:276–289. doi:10.4236/jss.2019.75024

Creative Commons License This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms.php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License. By accessing the work you hereby accept the Terms. Non-commercial uses of the work are permitted without any further permission from Dove Medical Press Limited, provided the work is properly attributed. For permission for commercial use of this work, please see paragraphs 4.2 and 5 of our Terms.

Download Article [PDF]