Back to Journals » Clinical Ophthalmology » Volume 11

Evaluating intraocular pressure-lowering solutions for the treatment of open-angle glaucoma: comparison between bimatoprost 0.03% and bimatoprost 0.01% – an observational switch study

Authors Deshpande SS, Sonty S, Ahmad A

Received 20 March 2017

Accepted for publication 3 June 2017

Published 27 July 2017 Volume 2017:11 Pages 1371—1376

DOI https://doi.org/10.2147/OPTH.S137537

Checked for plagiarism Yes

Review by Single-blind

Peer reviewers approved by Dr Colin Mak

Peer reviewer comments 2

Editor who approved publication: Dr Scott Fraser

Sarita S Deshpande,1 Sriram Sonty,1,2 Afzal Ahmad1

1Glaucoma Section, Midwest Eye Center, Calumet City, 2Glaucoma Section, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA

Purpose: The purpose of this study is to evaluate the intraocular pressure (IOP)-lowering efficacy of bimatoprost 0.01% solution in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG), who were switched from bimatoprost 0.03% solution, compared to patients with POAG who continued on bimatoprost 0.03% solution.
Methods: A retrospective review evaluated 35 patients (35 right eyes [OD], 34 left eyes [OS]) who remained on bimatoprost 0.03% and 30 patients (27 OD, 30 OS) who were switched to bimatoprost 0.01% during the period January 8, 2010 to December 26, 2012. Mean IOP was measured 6 and 3 months before the switch, at switch, and 3, 6, and 12 months after the switch. Hyperemia scores were recorded before and after the switch and were compared to a picture scale.
Results: Mean IOP in the group that switched was 16.96±5.03 mmHg in OD and 17.67±5.33 mmHg in OS at baseline. Mean IOP postswitch to bimatoprost 0.01% solution was 17.60±4.34 mmHg in OD and 17.00±3.37 mmHg in OS. IOP was not significantly reduced in either OD or OS postswitch to bimatoprost 0.01% (P1=0.5 OD, P2=0.2 OS). The hyperemia scores improved remarkably when bimatoprost 0.03% solution was switched to bimatoprost 0.01% solution (P<0.001).
Conclusion: To our knowledge, this is the first switch study evaluating the hypotensive efficacy and tolerability of bimatoprost in a group of patients with open-angle glaucoma. In this study comparing bimatoprost 0.03% and 0.01% solution, we found improved tolerability postswitch to 0.01% from 0.03% bimatoprost, similar efficacy between the two concentrations before and after switch in the same patient population, and similar IOPs comparable to nonswitch bimatoprost 0.03% solution.

Keywords: bimatoprost, open-angle glaucoma, hyperemia, intraocular pressure

Creative Commons License This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms.php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License. By accessing the work you hereby accept the Terms. Non-commercial uses of the work are permitted without any further permission from Dove Medical Press Limited, provided the work is properly attributed. For permission for commercial use of this work, please see paragraphs 4.2 and 5 of our Terms.

Download Article [PDF]  View Full Text [HTML][Machine readable]