Back to Journals » Cancer Management and Research » Volume 12

Risk Factors for Postoperative Infectious Complications in Elderly Patients with Gastric Cancer

Authors Liu X, Xue Z, Yu J, Li Z, Ma Z, Kang W, Ye X, Jiang L

Received 12 March 2020

Accepted for publication 16 May 2020

Published 9 June 2020 Volume 2020:12 Pages 4391—4398

DOI https://doi.org/10.2147/CMAR.S253649

Checked for plagiarism Yes

Review by Single-blind

Peer reviewer comments 2

Editor who approved publication: Dr Eileen O'Reilly


Xiao Liu,1 Zhigang Xue,2,3 Jianchun Yu,2 Zijian Li,2,3 Zhiqiang Ma,2 Weiming Kang,2 Xin Ye,2 Lin Jiang2,3

1Department of Surgery, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, People’s Republic of China; 2Department of General Surgery, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, People’s Republic of China; 3Graduate School, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, People’s Republic of China

Correspondence: Jianchun Yu Email yu-jch@163.com

Background: Elderly patients with gastric cancer (GC) are at increased risk of infectious complications following gastrectomy. A limited set of risk factors has been identified to predict complications in these patients. To improve the safety of gastrectomy in this population, we investigated the incidence of infectious complications and associated clinicopathologic, nutritional and surgical risk factors in a cohort of elderly patients with GC.
Methods: Elderly GC patients (≥ 70 years) who underwent gastrectomy between January 2013 and December 2017 in Peking Union Medical College Hospital were included in the study. Clinicopathologic data were collected retrospectively. Severity of complications was classified using the Clavien–Dindo system. Infectious complications were assessed based on clinical diagnosis of health care-associated infection as defined by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Multivariate logistic regression analyses were performed to determine the risk factors for infectious complications.
Results: Three hundred thirty-one consecutive patients were included, with a median age of 74 years (range 70– 88). The rate of surgical morbidity was 37.5% and the mortality rate was 1.2%. The incidence of infectious complications was 19.6%, with the most common infectious complication being pulmonary infection (11.5%). Preoperative weight loss ≥ 5% (odds ratio [OR] = 2.21; 95% CI, 1.15– 4.28; p = 0.018), Charlson comorbidity index score ≥ 3 (OR = 2.83; 95% CI, 1.30– 6.16; p = 0.009) and preoperative hsCRP level ≥ 10 mg/L (OR = 2.48; 95% CI, 1.14– 5.38; p = 0.022) were independently associated with infectious complications.
Conclusion: Preoperative weight loss, elevated hsCRP level and comorbidity burden can be used to predict postoperative infectious complications in elderly GC patients. It is recommended to pay more attention to the treatment of elderly GC patients with these risk factors.

Keywords: gastric cancer, elderly, complications, risk factors, weight loss

Creative Commons License This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms.php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License. By accessing the work you hereby accept the Terms. Non-commercial uses of the work are permitted without any further permission from Dove Medical Press Limited, provided the work is properly attributed. For permission for commercial use of this work, please see paragraphs 4.2 and 5 of our Terms.

Download Article [PDF]  View Full Text [HTML][Machine readable]