Back to Journals » Clinical Optometry » Volume 13

Protection of the Eye from Ultraviolet Radiation Damage Among Adults in Addis Zemen Town, Northwest Ethiopia

Authors Belete GT, Tolessa KG, Hussen MS

Received 13 November 2020

Accepted for publication 12 January 2021

Published 22 January 2021 Volume 2021:13 Pages 33—38

DOI https://doi.org/10.2147/OPTO.S291916

Checked for plagiarism Yes

Review by Single anonymous peer review

Peer reviewer comments 2

Editor who approved publication: Mr Simon Berry


Gizachew Tilahun Belete, Kalkidan Getahun Tolessa, Mohammed Seid Hussen

University of Gondar, College of Medicine and Health Science, Department of Optometry, Gondar, Ethiopia

Correspondence: Gizachew Tilahun Belete
University of Gondar, College of Medicine and Health Science, Department of Optometry, Gondar, Ethiopia
Tel +251(0)912684323
Email gizachewtilahun1@gmail.com

Background: Ultraviolet radiation is electromagnetic radiation or light having a wavelength of less than 400 nm but greater than 100 nm. Ultraviolet radiation, majorly from sunlight, can potentially damage any organ that is exposed to any part of its spectrum. Aside from the skin, the organ most susceptible to sunlight-induced damage is the eye. Ultraviolet radiation is reported to be the cause of multiple ocular problems ranging from benign conditions like pterygium and pinguecula to ocular malignancies such as basal cell carcinoma which finally leads to visual impairment and blindness. Protection practice is mandatory to avoid the burden of diseases caused by ultraviolet exposure and maximizing the protection measures implementation is important. To maximize this, it is essential to know the current practice and the associated factors affecting the usage of protective devices in the study area.
Methods: Community-based cross-sectional study was conducted from April to May 2019 on 453 study participants. The study participants were selected through a systematic random sampling method. Data were collected using a pretested structured questionnaire. The analyzed result was summarized and presented using texts, tables and charts. A Chi-square test was applied to assess the significant association.
Results: A total of 430 study subjects were participated and completed the questionnaire with a response rate of 94.92%. The mean age of the study participants was 35.3 (SD± 6.68). Two hundred forty-three (56.5%) study participants were males. About 228 (53%) of participants were married, and 356 (82.8%) were Christian in religion. From the total study participants, 173 (40.23%) had good practice in protecting the eye from ultraviolet radiation damages while the remaining 59.77% had poor practice. A significant association was found between sex and protection practice of the eye from ultraviolet radiation damages.
Conclusion: The majority of the study participants had poor protection practice of the eye from ultraviolet radiation damages. Improving awareness and protection practice are vital to reduce the burden of ocular abnormalities due to excessive exposure to ultraviolet radiation.

Keywords: ultraviolet radiation, protection practice, Addis Zemen Town, Ethiopia

Creative Commons License This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms.php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License. By accessing the work you hereby accept the Terms. Non-commercial uses of the work are permitted without any further permission from Dove Medical Press Limited, provided the work is properly attributed. For permission for commercial use of this work, please see paragraphs 4.2 and 5 of our Terms.

Download Article [PDF]  View Full Text [HTML][Machine readable]