Back to Journals » Cancer Management and Research » Volume 10

Management and prognosis of patients with liver metastases from gestational trophoblastic neoplasia: a retrospective cohort study

Authors Zong LJ, Yang JJ, Wang XY, Kong YJ, Ren T, Zhao J, Feng FZ, Wan XR, Xiang Y

Received 22 December 2017

Accepted for publication 2 February 2018

Published 23 March 2018 Volume 2018:10 Pages 557—563

DOI https://doi.org/10.2147/CMAR.S160606

Checked for plagiarism Yes

Review by Single anonymous peer review

Peer reviewer comments 4

Editor who approved publication: Professor Harikrishna Nakshatri


Liju Zong, Junjun Yang, Xiaoyu Wang, Yujia Kong, Tong Ren, Jun Zhao, Fengzhi Feng, Xirun Wan, Yang Xiang

Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, People’s Republic of China

Purpose: The aims of this study were to analyze the clinical features, identify prognostic factors, and evaluate the survival outcomes of gestational trophoblastic neoplasia (GTN) patients with liver metastases.
Patients and methods: Forty patients with liver metastases arising from GTNs, who were treated at the Peking Union Medical College Hospital (Beijing, People’s Republic of China) between January 1999 and December 2015, were recruited from the institutional database, and their medical records were reviewed. Univariate and multivariate analyses were performed to identify independent risk factors for survival.
Results: Twenty-seven patients (67.5%) achieved complete remission after multidrug chemotherapy treatment. The remaining 13 patients (32.5%) had disease progression. Eighteen patients (45.0%) died during treatment or follow-up. A history of failed multidrug chemotherapy was an independent risk factor for survival (OR: 5.57, 95% CI: 1.42–21.86, P=0.014). Moreover, patients with an International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) score of >16 had a significantly poorer survival than those with a score of ≤16 (P<0.001).
Conclusion: GTN with liver metastasis is a very rare disease with a relatively poor prognosis. Patients with a history of failed multidrug chemotherapy and a FIGO score of >16 have poorer survival outcomes. Multidrug chemotherapy is the key to the management of GTN patients with liver metastases.

Keywords: multidrug chemotherapy failure, FIGO score, multidrug chemotherapy, hepatic metastasis

Creative Commons License This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms.php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License. By accessing the work you hereby accept the Terms. Non-commercial uses of the work are permitted without any further permission from Dove Medical Press Limited, provided the work is properly attributed. For permission for commercial use of this work, please see paragraphs 4.2 and 5 of our Terms.

Download Article [PDF]  View Full Text [HTML][Machine readable]