Back to Journals » Vascular Health and Risk Management » Volume 12

Elevated risk of venous thromboembolic events in patients with inflammatory myopathies

Authors Nowak M, Krolak-Nowak K, Sobolewska-Wlodarczyk A, Fichna J, Wlodarczyk M

Received 14 November 2015

Accepted for publication 6 April 2016

Published 3 June 2016 Volume 2016:12 Pages 233—238

DOI https://doi.org/10.2147/VHRM.S75308

Checked for plagiarism Yes

Review by Single-blind

Peer reviewers approved by Prof. Dr. Amudha Kadirvelu

Peer reviewer comments 2

Editor who approved publication: Dr Daniel Duprez


Michał Nowak, Katarzyna Królak-Nowak, Aleksandra Sobolewska-Włodarczyk, Jakub Fichna, Marcin Włodarczyk

Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Medical University of Lodz, Lodz, Poland

Abstract: Venous thromboembolism (VTE) is a multifactorial disease manifesting as either deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism. Its prevalence makes VTE a significant issue for both the individual – as a negative factor influencing the quality of life and prognosis – and the society due to economic burden. VTE is the third most common vascular disorder in Western countries, after myocardial infarction and stroke, making it a major cause of in-hospital mortality, responsible for 5%–10% of hospital deaths. Despite many studies conducted, only 50%–60% provoking factors have been identified, while the remaining 40%–50% have been classified as idiopathic or unprovoked. Chronic inflammatory disorders, with their underlying prothrombotic state, reveal an increased risk of VTE (six to eight times) compared with the general population. Among the inflammatory disorders, we can identify inflammatory myopathies – a group of rare, chronic diseases featuring weakness and inflammation of muscles with periods of exacerbation and remission; their main classes are polymyositis and dermatomyositis. The objective of this review is to emphasize the need of VTE prophylaxis in individuals with inflammatory myopathies in order to reduce morbidity and mortality rates among those patients and improve their quality of life and prognosis.

Keywords:
deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, inflammation, polymyositis, dermatomyositis, prothrombotic state

Creative Commons License This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms.php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License. By accessing the work you hereby accept the Terms. Non-commercial uses of the work are permitted without any further permission from Dove Medical Press Limited, provided the work is properly attributed. For permission for commercial use of this work, please see paragraphs 4.2 and 5 of our Terms.

Download Article [PDF]  View Full Text [HTML][Machine readable]