Back to Journals » Open Access Emergency Medicine » Volume 12

Bag-Valve Mask versus Endotracheal Intubation in Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest on Return of Spontaneous Circulation: A National Database Study

Authors Yuksen C, Phattharapornjaroen P, Kreethep W, Suwanmano C, Jenpanitpong C, Nonnongku R, Sittichanbuncha Y, Sawanyawisuth K

Received 31 August 2019

Accepted for publication 19 February 2020

Published 12 March 2020 Volume 2020:12 Pages 43—46

DOI https://doi.org/10.2147/OAEM.S229356

Checked for plagiarism Yes

Review by Single-blind

Peer reviewer comments 2

Editor who approved publication: Dr Hans-Christoph Pape


Chaiyaporn Yuksen,1 Phatthranit Phattharapornjaroen,1 Woranee Kreethep,1 Chonnakarn Suwanmano,1 Chestsadakon Jenpanitpong,1 Rawin Nonnongku,1 Yuwares Sittichanbuncha,1 Kittisak Sawanyawisuth2

1Department of Emergency Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand; 2Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Sleep Apnea Research Group, Research Center in Back, Neck and Other Joint Pain and Human Performance, Research and Training Center for Enhancing Quality of Life of Working Age People, Research and Diagnostic Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases (RCEID), Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand

Correspondence: Kittisak Sawanyawisuth
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, 123 Mitraparp Road, Khon Kaen 40002, Thailand
Tel +66-43-363664
Fax +66-43-348399
Email kittisak@kku.ac.th

Background: Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest is the main issue for pre-hospital emergency care. There are several airway managements during the out-of-hospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) such as endotracheal intubation (ETI) or alternative airway device: bag-valve mask (BVM). Data comparing both methods showed inconclusive results on survival and limited results on CPR outcome. This study aimed to add additional results on comparing the ETI and BVM in cardiac arrest outside hospitals; focused on the CPR outcome.
Methods: This study was a retrospective, analytical study. The inclusion criteria were adult patients (age of 18 years or over) with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest, who received emergency life support, and received either BVM or ETI. Data were retrieved from the Information Technology of Emergency Medical Service. The outcome was a return of spontaneous circulation (ROSC).
Results: During the study period, there were 1070 patients with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest who met the study criteria. Of those, 800 patients (74.77%) received BVM, while the other 270 patients (25.23%) received ETI. There were five significant factors between both groups including mean distance to scene, proportions of response time less than 8 mins, defibrillation, intravenous fluid administration, and adrenaline administration. There was no significant difference on the outcome: ROSC. The BVM group had slightly higher rate of ROSC than the ETI group (19.63% vs 15.56%; p value 0.148).
Conclusion: The BVM and ETI had comparable ROSC rate for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest victims. However, the study population of the BVM group had less severe conditions and received faster treatment than the ETI group.

Keywords: return of spontaneous circulation, CPR, airway management

Creative Commons License This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms.php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License. By accessing the work you hereby accept the Terms. Non-commercial uses of the work are permitted without any further permission from Dove Medical Press Limited, provided the work is properly attributed. For permission for commercial use of this work, please see paragraphs 4.2 and 5 of our Terms.

Download Article [PDF]  View Full Text [HTML][Machine readable]